Friday, October 29, 2010

Camp Wakarara

Today was the end of my first week of practicum with Room 16 of Heretaunga Intermediate. It is hard to believe how quickly this week has gone by but to be honest it has been such an enjoyable week that I am glad the week did not go any faster.

This week was my first week with this fantastic class and talk about a way to be thrown in the deep in. First up for my first ever practicum was School Camp! Camp Wakarara - a camp that I personally had not been to before but that friends as well as a family member or two had been to before. I knew that it would be colder than Hastings and I also knew that there was to be an extremely long walk on the Thursday up to Sunrise Hut but that was pretty much all that I knew.

Looking back on such and adventure filled week, I am pleased that I did not know much about camp or how the week would run at the beginning of the week. I feel that I would not have learnt as much during the week if I did know. Lets just say that there is a lot more to a school camp than meets the eye.

Camp Wakarara 2010......
  • Problem solving,
  • surviving without electricity,
  • making hot chocolate for 30+ on a small gas cooker with hot milk and chocolate,
  • long drops,
  • fun and games,
  • class work,
  • cooking,
  • camp fires,
  • tent pitching,
  • hiking/tramping,
  • laughing,
  • growling,
  • taking photos,
  • BBQ's,
  • steam studies,
  • early mornings,
  • long days,
  • endless nicknames,
  • late nights,
  • smores,
  • night patrol,
  • bush walks,
  • camp food,
  • cold showers,
  • getting to know students
and so much more were all part of my incredible week this week.

Room 16 of Heretaunga Intermediate, you are all super troopers and such awesome people. I have had a fantastic week this week and just wanted to say thank you very much for letting me be a part of your camping experience. It certainly was a great way to get to know you all and guess what.... WE ALL SURVIVED THE WALK TO SUNRISE HUT!

Each and every one of you should be proud of what you have achieved at Camp Wakarara for 2010 and I hope that you remember this camp for years to come.

Look after yourselves, look after each other and ALWAYS reach for the stars - strive to be the best that you can be and you will go far in life.

Love and blessings,
Miss Stewart

No comments:

Post a Comment